Developing Habits that Will Change Your Life


Habits. They can be our greatest asset or our worst liability. To stick with the financial metaphor, time can be a personal investor's best friend or worst enemy, depending on how early the individual starts investing. Consider the following investors who put into their savings $2,000, at 8% gains, per year, between the ages of 25-55. At age 65:

The investor who at age 25 has over $585,000
The investor who at age 35 has just $250,00
The investor who at age 45 has just $98,800
The investor who at age 55 has just $30, 700

The habit of investing pays off over the long-term because of compounding interest. Not unlike finances, although not always as concrete, our spiritual habits have a compounding effect on our soul's well-being. There is a long-term payoff for the consistency of good spiritual habits.

Who we are and what we will become is, to a large extent, made up of the habits we form, those regular practices that become automatic decisions for us. Some of us will need to replace one habit for another - not an easy thing to do. For instance, I have the habit at the end of the day, maybe around 10 p.m. each night, to turn on the T.V. so that I can "relax," a euphemism for trying to escape from my exhausted thoughts and tired body. I could be doing something that actually reinvigorates my soul and the soul of my family during this time, such as actively, key word: actively, listening to my wife's heart as she verbalizes what has happened during her day. I could read a book, the Bible perhaps. I could be reflecting on my day and the way I did or did not respond to God through the day. I enjoy St. Ignatius of Loyola's spiritual exercise of reflecting on consolation and desolation. In a nutshell, this is reflecting on those moments in our day that either cause us consolation or desolation. Consolation refers to moments that move our souls and move us to an increased since of hope, love and peace; whereas, desolation is the opposite, when we find ourselves agitated, frustrated and anxious. These moments of desolation often come with negative thoughts. Reflecting on the day in this way gives us time to pause and reflect on where God is moving in our lives and activities that he may be inviting us to abandon. 

Last night in Elevate we talked about hanging out with God - we are heading toward the acronym H.A.B.I.T.S. (Hang time with God, Accountability, Bible Memorization, Tithing, and Service), which describes those automatic decisions and activities that we involve ourselves in that will bring joy to God and us. I challenged students who don't regularly spend time with God to start taking just 5 minutes per day for a few days this week. The goal is this: to gradually make spending time with God in prayer and his Word a habit when they are young, because like investing money, there is a compound effect on their well-being. Students pushed back, saying things like, "I have homework," "I already have to get up at 5 in the morning," and "Just because I might go to bed 5 minutes earlier doesn't mean I am going to get up 5 minutes earlier." Let the battle begin. 

My heart is that our students, from the nursery through college, will form healthy habits that will draw them close to the God that is jealous for them. Like you and I, our kids' flesh will fight against begging God for the grace to spend time with him. Like you and I, our kids will justify why they just can't step away from the computer for 5 or 10 minutes to hang with God. Just like you and I, they will need tons of encouragement and "raising the bar" of expectations from both their parents and other invested adults in order to form these life changing activities into habits. So get out there and encourage the heck out of your child. The real battle is the battle of forming habits. It is through forming them that we can change, and experience transformation in our lives. 

How Do We Make This A Reality
  1. Start taking a step to make regular time for God in your own life. 
  2. Encourage your child to read through the Journey Bible Reading Plan.
  3. Follow-up with your child about the reading plan by asking them naturally what they are discovering.
  4. Read and pray with and in front of your child. 
  5. If you are overwhelmed and don't know where to start, connect with me and I would be glad to get you headed in the right direction!
Another Parent-In-Process,

Josh


No comments:

Post a Comment